
HISTORY
One of the main features of the town is Wiltz Castle which belonged to the former Counts of Wiltz. This castle, which is situated on 600 acres (2.4 km2) of lawns and gardens, contains hundreds of rooms. It was completed in 1727, and the final Count died in 1793. It served as a private girls school from 1851 until 1950, and became a retirement home after that. The industrialisation of Wiltz was advanced in the late 19th and early 20th century by the leather industry, namely by IDÉAL Tannerie de Wiltz S.A. belonging to the Adler & Oppenheimer trust.
During World War II, Luxembourg was occupied 10 May 1940 (the first day of the Battle of France). On 31 August 1942, a general strike was initiated in Wiltz, that spread throughout the country. On 16 December 1944, the Wehrmachtsurprisingly began the Ardennes Offensive. Norman Cota and his General Staff left Wiltz when the Germans came nearer. In the evening of 19 December, after some combat, the last Americans left Wiltz. On January 1945, Wiltz was liberated by American troops after intensive combats during the days before.
Wiltz was named Martyr Town after the war. A monument representing a lighthouse was erected to commemorate the victims of the repression following the 1942 General Strike.